Office Wall Art

Image

If you’re like me and you’re married to a musician, or you’ve just randomly let one take up residence in your house, AND you’re a graphic designer, AND you share an office with your musician, you are probably racking your brain to come up with an artistic solution to melding “music” and “design” into an interesting look for your office. Since we joined office-forces we’ve been working on creating a space that works for both of us. More on this later, because to be honest, we moved into the office six months ago, but we’re still not even close to being done with it yet.

In the meantime, my musician had to put some foam installments on the office walls, so when he records he can cut down on the, um, (crap, I’m not a musician! -Oh!) “ricocheting” of sounds. I’ve covered these pieces of foam with plain fabric, but they still need something artistic so they’re not just eight plain blocks on the walls. I have some plans to do some painting on some of them, but on the ones that are closest to the “design area” of our room, I wanted to do something designy/graphic/typeface-centered, but I honestly didn’t want to take a ton of time on the project. So I got this idea after I had done something similar on my office walls at work.

Image

Image

I cut some pages out of one of my Font source books (Font Bureau, if you’re curious and want to go check out their fonts). I cut them as squarely as I could and pinned them onto the foam squares. Really easy and they actually look quite nice.

Here are some close up shots of it:

Image

Image

**UPDATE** It took me some time to think about what to do with the other foam squares in the room. They’re smaller than the above ones, about 1.5 feet square. I had just been drying some really cool looking flowers and I got the inspiration to tack them onto the leftover squares. Seriously simple. Here are some pictures.

 



“Wireframe” Wall Art

Over the weekend I worked on this really cool (and again CHEAP) art project. Recently I saw the below photo on Pinterest and I got to thinking about how I could make one of my own. I did mine horizontally and used mini binder clips instead of clothespins, but it’s the same general idea.

inspiration photo

So, here’s how I did it:

I found this very basic frame at “Mr. Thrifty” (heh) for $2.00.

I sanded the crap out of it to remove some of the stain and let the wood grain show through.

Using picture hanging wire and hooks, I screwed the hooks into the inside back of the frame, fastened the wire onto them, and stretched the wire so it would be very tight.

Okay, that’s pretty much “the hard part.” Then I used those really cute little mini binder clips and hung some of my favorite family photos.

This one is “Ode to Parental Units.” I’ll change out the photos and add other items as needed. The project cost me all of about $4.00 (all I had to buy was the frame, wire, and hooks–the binder clips we have cluttering up our junk drawers, and of course, the photos we had 🙂

Jewelry Organizer

I finally came up with a solution for my jewelry problem. I found this wire wall hanging at Hobby Lobby (for under 5 bucks) hung it in my bathroom and covered it with jewelry. Now my jewelry is organized AND I have a new piece of artwork (she sort of looks like a Disney princess).

Wall Art

A low maintenance and cheap way to create wall art!

For years we’ve been searching for a solution to our “big huge wall in the stairwell problem,” and over the weekend we finally decided to do something about it. I had sort of decided on doing some sort of frame with different fabrics, so we started out garage saling on Saturday morning and we found the perfect frames.

Not long into our search, we stumbled upon two of these (we thought they were picture frames, but the woman running the garage sale told us they were lattice that came out of their windows). So we bought two of them for a buck.

We decided on an ocean blue paint, to contrast well against our dark orange wall. I decided not to prime the frames first because I wanted some of the natural wood to show through.

I decided that since I didn’t have much to work with as far as the width of each “window” went, that I’d use decorative paper instead of fabric. I laid out the papers to create a good balance of color/pattern.

Then I taped them to the back of the frame.

The final product! We just staggered them on the stairwell wall and put a couple nails up to hold them (and used some sticky velcro here and there to affix some areas to the wall). Oh, and I should mention, this project cost us $7.00 (for the frames, paint, and papers–I already had the paint brushes and tape). Can’t beat that!!