Gourd Candleholder

I love gourds. And I love decorating with them when Fall rolls around. Here is a really simple candle holder I made (this is actually an acorn squash, but close enough). You can really use anything as long as it’s stable and it has a deep enough top so that the candle doesn’t fall through.

 

Here’s the gourd before.

 

I took a Sharpie and outlined the candle, making a circle on the top of the gourd. Then I used an exacto blade and carefully cut on that line and then made intersections in the center and just chipped away at it until it was the right shape/depth I needed.

 

That’s it. Easy.

 

Beaded Chandelier

Image

When we moved into our current house, there were a few projects we knew we’d get around to, but weren’t exactly first on the list. Our house, having been built in 1985, still has a few left over dated 80s fixtures, one being a hideous chandelier that used to hang in our stairwell (see before picture). We lived with that thing for three years wondering what we could do with it (without having to go and buy a brand new, expensive fixture).

One day Dan got sick of the ugly thing and stripped it of its cheap, plastic planks–at that point I knew I had to get off my lazy butt and do something creative with it. In it’s bare state it looked like an alien with a thousand prongs sticking out all over. After leaving it bare for probably a month, I decided I couldn’t stand that thing staring at me anymore, so I finally got to work. I went to my jewelry kit and found a bunch of larger beads left over from some other projects, and then supplemented what I didn’t have with new colored glass beads from the craft store. I created about six to eight basic strands of different lengths and then left a loop on the tops so I could hang them on the prongs. I tried my best to use big enough beads to cover the left-over light sockets on the inside of the fixture (you can still see them, but it’s not that bad). Then I finished off the bottoms with some oblong, retro pearls that my mom gave me.

Image

Before

Image

After

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Mostly I like how it casts some really cool shadows on the walls and ceiling. Now I have to think of what to do with our other dated 80s chandelier that hangs over the dining room table.

“Wireframe” Wall Art

Over the weekend I worked on this really cool (and again CHEAP) art project. Recently I saw the below photo on Pinterest and I got to thinking about how I could make one of my own. I did mine horizontally and used mini binder clips instead of clothespins, but it’s the same general idea.

inspiration photo

So, here’s how I did it:

I found this very basic frame at “Mr. Thrifty” (heh) for $2.00.

I sanded the crap out of it to remove some of the stain and let the wood grain show through.

Using picture hanging wire and hooks, I screwed the hooks into the inside back of the frame, fastened the wire onto them, and stretched the wire so it would be very tight.

Okay, that’s pretty much “the hard part.” Then I used those really cute little mini binder clips and hung some of my favorite family photos.

This one is “Ode to Parental Units.” I’ll change out the photos and add other items as needed. The project cost me all of about $4.00 (all I had to buy was the frame, wire, and hooks–the binder clips we have cluttering up our junk drawers, and of course, the photos we had 🙂

Wall Art

A low maintenance and cheap way to create wall art!

For years we’ve been searching for a solution to our “big huge wall in the stairwell problem,” and over the weekend we finally decided to do something about it. I had sort of decided on doing some sort of frame with different fabrics, so we started out garage saling on Saturday morning and we found the perfect frames.

Not long into our search, we stumbled upon two of these (we thought they were picture frames, but the woman running the garage sale told us they were lattice that came out of their windows). So we bought two of them for a buck.

We decided on an ocean blue paint, to contrast well against our dark orange wall. I decided not to prime the frames first because I wanted some of the natural wood to show through.

I decided that since I didn’t have much to work with as far as the width of each “window” went, that I’d use decorative paper instead of fabric. I laid out the papers to create a good balance of color/pattern.

Then I taped them to the back of the frame.

The final product! We just staggered them on the stairwell wall and put a couple nails up to hold them (and used some sticky velcro here and there to affix some areas to the wall). Oh, and I should mention, this project cost us $7.00 (for the frames, paint, and papers–I already had the paint brushes and tape). Can’t beat that!!